(+39) 055 2399910 m.ambrogio info@italylawfirms.com
  • English
  • Español
  • 中文
  • Русский
  • العربية

Immigration Law in Italy – Visas and Permits

An individual?
Italy is a “dream country” for many. If you contemplate moving to Italy, our law firm is uniquely prepared to approach all your immigration-related questions with efficiency and great commitment.

A business entity?
Our Italian and foreign-qualified lawyers have also built significant experience in assisting Italian and foreign-based businesses by addressing their human resources needs.

Due to a multi-level regulatory system (Italian, European and International) that is applicable to persons not holding an Italian passport, visa and immigration-related issues are rather complex. However, your nationality is not the only factor that comes into play when determining the type of visa/permit that best matches your needs. Each case is unique with specific conditions and documentation requirements.

To begin your journey to Italy, we must determine the best possible solution. We base our immigration legal advice on your personal and professional status, as well as on your medium and long-term goals for life and career, or even retirement, in Italy.

Italian immigration law provides several potential visa options, however, not all them apply to a given applicant. The most commonly used visas/permits are the following:

  • Elective Residency Visa
  • Student VISA (for a stay longer than 3 months)
  • Asylum Visa
  • Exclusive Custody Permit
  • Family Reunification Visa
  • Self-employment Work Permit
  • Employee Work Permit
  • Religious Visa
  • Visa for Scientific Research and
  • Visa for Stateless Persons

Our working languages in the area of Immigration Law are: Italian, English, German, Russian, Spanish and Greek.

Buzz topic: Elective Residency in Italy

This type of visa allows persons that generate income generated in their country of residence to relocate to Italy. This is usually the case with persons that have decided to retire.

Under Italian Law (Decreto Legislativo n° 286/1998) a non-European citizen (i.e., the visa applicant) is requested to provide evidence that he/she relies on an income that allows him to reside in Italy without working (the amount of this income is determined by the Italian Consulate located in the State where the applicant originally comes from). This varies greatly from State to State.

These funds must not be generated through employment. Pension is a good example of the type of funds that would make an individual eligible for an elective residency visa. Other types of income include income generated through lease agreements and dividends (unless the applicant is employed by the company or holds the office of CEO/Manager Director).

The steps that we must take in order to obtain an Elective Residency visa in Italy are the following:

  1. File a form to the Italian Consulate of the State of origin and all necessary accompanying documentation such as a copy of the applicant’s passport, a document providing evidence that the applicant generates the income required to live in Italy and a document providing proof that the applicant has secured accommodation in Italy (i.e., a real-estate purchase contract or a lease).
  2. If the submitted documents comply with requirements set by the applicable regulations, the Italian Consulate will provide the applicant with an “entry visa” that allows him to enter Italy and apply for the Elective Residency visa.
  3. The application for the Elective Residency Visa must be filed within 90 days from the issuance of the entry visa. This application is submitted to a Police Department called “Questura” (the competent Questura is located at the Italian city where the applicant has decided to take up the Elective Residency).

The contents of this page should not be taken as an authoritative statement of Italian law and practice. Neither the author nor the publisher are responsible for the results of actions taken on the basis of information contained in this summary, nor for any errors or omissions. This text is not intended to render legal, accounting or tax advice. Readers are encouraged to seek professional advice concerning specific matters before making any decision.

127 thoughts on “Immigration Law in Italy – Visas and Permits”

  1. Gabriela says:

    Mi nombre es Gabriela, te escribo para pedirte ayuda para migrar a Italia. Tengo planeado ir en Marzo. No tengo claro cual es la visa indicada, ya que necesito trabajar lo antes posible. Mi novio es Italiano y habiamos pensado en visas de reintegración familiar, asilo político o de estudio. Pero no tenemos claro los procedimientos, condiciones ni los tiempos necesarios para trabajara en cualquiera de los tipos de visa mencionados anteriormente.

    Espero atenta tu respuesta,


  2. majid saleh says:

    good evening

    My daughter has been living in Italy for the past 8 -9 years under a stay permit but recently her stay permit was not extended and she was deported, question is can she return to italy immediately on a student admission !

    Pleased to hear

  3. Nader Abdoshahi Rad says:

    Dear Sir,
    I am a faculty member at Islamic Azad University in Shahrood, Iran. I am fifty-six and have been teaching English for more than twenty years in different schools and universities in Iran. At the present time, I am studying for a doctoral degree in TEFL, teaching English as a foreign language. Soon I will be writing my dissertation on a topic regarding the English language teaching. As far as I know your country considers English a very important subject in school and it is taught from a very early age. I wonder whether I can be given an opportunity to teach English there. I, as well as my family, wish to immigrate to your country to have a successful and peaceful life and wish that our children would enjoy the benefits and privileges of better education in your great country, Italy. Any help and information in this regard would be highly appreciated.
    Yours sincerely,
    Nader Abdoshahi Rad

  4. Jennifer says:

    Buenos dias mi nombre es Jennifer hace un ano llegue a Iitalia con mi hija Como turista me case aca y metri mi pratica en questura però tengo un problema no me quieren Dar El permiso de sorgono por que no tengo El timbre de mi Pasaporte de Italia però hice la declaration en questura menor de 48 horas però è conetido un error en la declaracion la solucion esq tengo q salir de Italia y volver a entrar y que me de El timbre en El Pasaporte, puedo salir y entrar en Italia sin ningun problema ya que mi permiso de turista solo era por 3 meses?, gracias

    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Ciao Jennifer,
      please detail your position sending an email to info@italylawfirms.com
      thank you

  5. Diana says:

    Buenas noches, mi nombre es Diana, tengo una amiga que tiene una duda y mi pregunta es; si una persona indocumentada en estados unidos se casa con un italiano, este puede hacerle la peticion de esposos directamente con la embajada en estados unidos?

  6. abdarhman najjar says:

    اريد ان اقدم هجرة الى ايطاليا
    انا متزوج وعندي طفل بعمر 9 سنوات ومعي شهادة بكالوريوس جرافيك ديزاين ومعي خبرة هندسة كمبيوتر لمدة 12 سنة
    واريد الهجرة الى ايطاليا
    ما هي الاجراءات اللازمة

  7. Mariana says:

    Ciao! I am gonna study in Italy and I will apply for my student visa but in the same time I am gonna move to Italy with my husband and I want to apply for permesso di soggiorno for family reasons instead of study reasons, do you think it will be possible or my student visa may be canceled in this case?

    Best regards, Mariana Humeniuk

    1. Jimena says:

      Hi Mariana! I have a study visa too. Hao do you do to get a permission to your husband?

  8. Rhiannon Martin-Howes says:

    I’ve tried everywhere to find out information but I haven’t had any luck. Maybe I can get an answer here. My fiancee has a residency permit for Italy that expires in 2022. His lawyer has been sorting his new visa out (the last one expired at the end of October) my fiancée is Nigerian and was in Austria trying to sort out a problem with his bank account. It took longer than he expected and he travelled back to Milan on the 6th November. He has his receipts for the visa and his residency permit. He was detained at immigration and is being held pending a decision on deportation. I only got to speak to him for a minute on the 6th before his phone was taken from him. I was informed by the immigration police on the 6th that’s he was at Malpensa. After 3 days and 25 more phone calls I finally got to speak to a man who spoke enough English to be able to help me. I was then informed that my fiancee wasn’t there. I’ve tried everything I can think of to try to find out where he is so that I can get the lawyer’s (who was dealing with his visa) number.

    So after all of the background info my question is this: Can a person with a valid residency permit but no visa be allowed to remain in Italy and where would he be held pending this decision?

    I can’t understand why he would be held for 20 days. I know in other countries if a person tries to enter a country without a visa then that person would be deported on the next available flight. My partner can’t use his phone so how is he supposed to contact his lawyer?

    I’m going crazy not being able to help and my crash course in Italian hasn’t helped me.

    Please can you help and advise me?

  9. Mary Henech says:

    Buenas, soy de nacionalidad venezolana. 42 años. profesional (abogada) tengo 2 hijos, de 19 y 21 años de edad ambos varores, cursaron hasta bachillerato (educaión media) lograron cursar 2 años en ingenieria mecamica en venezuela. Actualmente nos enontramos viviendo en Chile, un pais que nos abrio las puertas, pero un pais, que en estos momentos esta atravezando por una crisis politica con caracteristicas similares a las de venezuela, aparte de todo aqui la el salario que se devenga no alcanza para que mis hijos puedan seguir sus estudios universitario, por ello quisiera que me dieran informacion para residir en Italia, cuals srias los papeles que necesitamos, los trámites a realizar, los costos, tiempo de otorgamiento. agradeceria toda la informacion posible, gracias

  10. Adrienne says:

    My name is Adrienne. I have applied for a permesso di soggiorno attesa occupazione (I earned a master in Italy).
    This particular permit is supposed to allow a person to take up a contract immediately and then they can apply for a work permit (subordinato) later.

    My question: Can I assume these rights (above) with solely the ricevuta/assicurata? In other words, can I start a contratto determinato with a ricevuta for a permesso di soggiorno attesa occupazione?

    Best, Adrienne

  11. Dang Minh Thanh says:

    Gentili Signori,

    Mi chiamo Dang Minh Thanh, ho appena laureato il corso magistrale all’Università della Calabria. Ora voglio chiedere il permesso di soggiorno per attesa occupazione. Il mio permesso per studio dura il 31/12/2019. Potrebbe indicarmi cosa devo fare. Conosco che devo chiedere una certificazione di disoccupazione dal Centro l’Impiego. È giusto? E come posso chiedere questa certificazione? Spero che Lei possa rispondermi presto.
    In attesa di un Suo riscontro.

    La ringrazio!
    Dang Minh Thanh.

  12. Zia ur Rehman says:

    I am Zia from Pakistan, graduate in Electronics Engg. having 18 years professional experience in Telecommunications, now I wish to express my intension to really migrate to Molise with family OR get opportunity of Italy Work Visa.
    Please do share the requirements of both i.e; Work Visa & Immigration.
    So if we go through for Molise Immigration then how much min. investment required to get start new business setup in order to qualify for Italian Citizenship.
    I will be highly appreciated to find out what kind of assistance you may give and from where should I start ?
    Looking forward to be hearing from you soon..

    Thanks & Regards,
    Zia ur Rehman
    Katachi, Pakistan.
    0092 305 1344829
    0092 336 2212975 (WhatsApp)

  13. KHAN says:

    caro signore/ signora

    buon giorno devo fare domanda per mia figlia cittadinanza italiana. Potete per favore aiutarmi con questo e dirmi qual è la procedura. lascia che ti spieghi il mio caso. Io e mia moglie siamo titolari dello status Rifugiato e anche mia figlia nata qui in Italia nel 2018 ha lo stesso status Rifugiato e abbiamo il tipo di permesso ASILO 5 anni e la Convention Documento Di Viaggio. il problema sono io e mia moglie dal Pakistan, quindi la questura scrive sul mio bambino permesso di siggiorno cittadinanza pakistana. ma mia figlia non è registrata presso l’ambasciata pakistana e non ha cittadinanza pakistana perché secondo la legge sulla cittadinanza pakistana

    Cittadino per discendenza: I bambini pakistani che sono nati fuori dal Pakistan sono cittadini di discendenza. Se il genitore di tale figlio è cittadino per discendenza (come nato fuori dal Pakistan), il figlio deve essere registrato presso il consolato o la missione pakistani più vicini.

    controlla questo link per la legge sulla cittadinanza pakistana


    quindi il bambino non può ottenere automaticamente la cittadinanza pakistana fino a quando i genitori non registrano il bambino in ambasciata che non è possibile per noi come genitori che siamo rifugiati dalla legge italiana non è autorizzato a rifugiato di contattare la loro ambasciata di origine quindi non possiamo dare la nostra cittadinanza pakistana alla nostra figlia e non vogliamo perché non torneremo in Pakistan in futuro. così ho letto la legge sulla cittadinanza italiana,

    art. 1 (b) chi e ‘nato nel territorio della Repubblica se entrambi i
    genitori sono ignoti o apolidi, ovvero se il figlio non segue la
    cittadinanza dei genitori secondo la legge dello Stato al quale
    questi appartengono.

    Arte. 16

    2. Lo straniero riconosciuto rifugiato dallo Stato italiano secondo
    le condizioni stabilite dalla legge o dalle convenzioni
    internazionali e ‘equiparato all’apolide ai fini dell’assistenza
    della presente legge, con esclusione degli obblighi inerenti al
    servizio militare.

    quindi con questo articolo posso chiedere la cittadinanza italiana di mia figlia perché adesso la cittadinanza di mia figlia in PDS è scritta pakistan, ma non è registrata nel sistema di governo del pakistan. quindi è come una apolide. ho bisogno di consigli su cosa fare perché per mia figlia e anche se ho un altro bambino nato qui in italia i miei figli saranno apolidi.

    Quindi posso richiedere la cittadinanza italiana di mia figlia con l’aiuto di questi articoli sulla cittadinanza italiana e l’articolo sulla cittadinanza pakistana anche nella cittadinanza italiana Articolo 16. (2) scritto che il rifugiato è equiparato come apolide per applicare la cittadinanza italiana, quindi se siamo rifugiati entrambi i genitori identificati come un bambino apolide nato qui in italia possono ottenere la cittadinanza italiana come da ART 1 (b) come apolide o entrambi i genitori non possono trasmettere la loro cittadinanza dalla legge della loro origine. perché richiedeva la registrazione in ambasciata da parte dei genitori che non possiamo fare come rifugiato. per favore guidaci cosa fare e come procedere. Grazie mille, aspetto una tua risposta






  15. yasir manzoor says:

    voglio chiedere informazioni sulla mia carta soggor ho appena completato i miei studi in Italia quest’anno e questo è il mio quinto anno in italia posso candidarmi per carta soggor con la mia laurea in italiano

  16. O.O Mathew says:


    I am a resident of an African country and have gone through the website concerning the MOLISE Immigration / Residency permit.

    I would like to use this medium to inquire on how and what to be done for someone of my personality to get resident permit. I am civil servant that is currently working for a state government in my home country (AFRICA COUNTRY) and i wish to express my intention to really migrate to Molise for greener pasture. More so I am a graduate of Mechanical Engineering from polytechnic since the year 2007.

    Please kindly respond to my plea and enquiry for the residency permit in Molise Italy. I promise to be of good character.

    I will be eager to provide any required document considered necessary for the resident permit at my disposal.

    My email address is : tafelayo25@gmail.com

    Thank you.

    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Ciao Mathew
      as far as we know, MOLISE budget for this is finished
      thank you

  17. Clara says:

    Hola soy cubana tengo 44 años y entre con una visa de turismo por 90 días pero quisiera estar mas tiempo aca tengo mi mamá y mi hermana las mismas llevan aqui ya 20 y 23 años pero no se han hecho ciudadanas por un descuido de ellas solo son residentes mi pregunta es,mi mamá puede hacerme la reunificación familiar?.Puedo después de los 90 días si lograra esta reunificación pasarme mas tiempo?Aplicaría para esto y que pasos y q documentos debo presentar para este trámite.Por favor agradecería esta información.Gracias

  18. ESTHER Z says:

    Soy una mexicana que se encuentra viajando actualmente por Europa (UK), mi sueño siempre ha sido vivir en Italia y aprender el idioma!
    Me gustaría mucho poder quedarme más de los 90 días permitidos en Italia a los que tengo derecho.

    Que posibilidades tengo para pedir una student visa o cualquier otro tipo de visa que me permita estar más de los 90 días SIN NECESIDAD DE REGRESARME A MÉXICO para aplicar por la visa? siendo que ya estoy en Europa!

    PD. Solo cuento con pasaporte mexicano, y no tengo residencia en ningún otro país.


  19. kunj sharma says:

    Dear Sir/ Medam
    kindly let me know when the open italy entry. now i am working in qatar. i want to apply for entry visa of italy.

    i am waiting for your reply.

    Thanks and Reagrds

  20. Incopnito says:

    Soy ciudadano cubano perdí mi pasaporte en la entrada a Italia antes de mi llegada a este país pedí asilo político en otros países europeos debido a mi citación en mi país natal en estos me encuentro indocumentado sin trabajo con u a mensualidad mínima q me manda mi familia en Cuba de q manera puedo legalizar. MI situación. En este país y pasos q pueda seguir

  21. Sarath says:

    Hello sir/ madam,

    Myself MVS Sarath chandra applied for student visa for Italy to peruse masters from CASSINO univ.

    I got my visa rejected mentioning the reason as
    Documentation presented for the visa and the interview are not sufficient to determine the real intention to travel to Italy for study purpose.
    I attained scholarship and accommodation from univ. I have submitted all the proper documents regarding finance assistance, initial boarding, lodging.
    Can you please Assist me further on this to reapply

  22. Charlotte says:

    I moved to Italy to work 6 weeks ago. I am an EU citizen and was wondering how long I could stay working in Italy for before I need a visa? I’m aware that online it says you need to apply for residency within 90 days but the school I am working for are encouraging me not to become a resident. Is this the right thing to do?

    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Ciao Charlotte,
      moving your residency in Italy (if not absolutely necessary) is not advisable. Moving a residency has a lot of consequences on many points of view (fiscal, taxation, etc.).
      By the way, in order to be able to reply to you properly, we would need to undertsand better your position.
      Please write info@italylawfirms.com and we will reply you as soon as we can

  23. Patrick MUHIRE says:

    Dear sir,
    My name is Patrick and I have a Rwandan nationality, I live in italy as a student at university of Tuscia, in the beginning of September 2019, I had an opportunity to go to China for internship to complete my career of study. Unfortunately my permesso di seggiorno was expired and waiting for the new one. I went to Chinese consulate to apply for visa and they refused to take my documents cz they don’t accept a receipt from post office. I went to viterbo migration office(where I applied my new permesso) to ask them a help to speed up my residence permit, I showed my invitation letter, a letter from my university proving my nomination to go china and other related documents and they didn’t want to give me a help and sadly I lost the opportunity. I tried to find another internship in Europe and I got lucky to get it. For now it’s about 2.5 months waiting for my permesso and I’m a bit scared that I will also lose the opportunity because my permesso is taking to long to get ready and I can’t travel without it. I have to start my internship by 16th of October 2019. So, I would like an advice from you of what can I do.
    Looking forward to hearing from you soon

    Best regards,
    Patrick MUHIRE

  24. RAM KUMAR says:


    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Dear Ram,
      many thanks for your post.
      Our Immigration Italian Attorney will reply to you soon.

  25. Naredla Suchendran says:

    Hi looking for molise Immigration

  26. Suresh c Damodaran says:

    Dear Sir

    Heard news on migartion to molise. i am an indian and intrested for the same. Please provide the details

  27. Reza says:

    I’m Reza from Iran. From Italian embassy I got a tourist schengen visa in a valid passport and landed in Rome (after stop in Katar) some days ago. I was refused by police to abandon Rome transit zone. They sent me back to Doha. I don*t understand why this happened. NOW I*m in the transit zone of Doha.
    I would still like to go to Europe for tourism. Would it be possible to go to Germany instead with my Schengen visa? Thankful for soon reply!

    1. Reen says:

      Schengen visa is for all European countries…unless yours has expired or you did something then you cannot move,but if it’s Schengen student visa then you need to consult visa agencies

  28. Jailall Mangra says:

    Dear Sir/Madam,
    My name is Jailall Mangra born 28 Nov 1962 fron St Kitts Nevis ,I am the holder of a St Kitts Nevis passport, I am interested in migrating and moving my business to Italy with my family, I saw on the internet that the government of italy is inviting foreign nationals to migrate to italy, I am interested if its true

  29. ANIL KUMAR PV says:

    Iam a graphic 15 years experience in advertising technology.designer for advertisement,sign industry, idea was interactive media design, sign making,Operating to all types of lazer cutter, router.vinyl printer & plotter also.
    We are family start with new company in Molisa. Me and my wife Ginuanil,my children’s baby girl.5 years/Ashylin,baby boy . Austin Lopez 3yers
    We are looking for visa .
    Padiyath house
    Thammanam p.o
    Plarivatim /Cochin
    Contact: 9744330114/9747195995
    Email: brainanilmagic@gmail.com
    Email 2: anilmaxin28@gmail.com

  30. Ajith m sabu says:

    Hi sir
    Iam an Indian citizen would like to migrate to Italy in molisa.i heard that we get business opportunity there to start a new life. Is it true? Can u give any reply to me. It will be a great honour to get a reply from your side.
    Ajith m sabu

    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Dear Ajith,
      we have heard about this possibility and we are checking it out.
      We will update you soon
      ItalyLawFirms Staff

  31. Saqib says:

    I am a Canadian Citizen but my wife is still from Pakistan. We planned to visit Italy in October but the Italian Embassy in Pakistan had refused her visa. We would like to appeal this decision.

    Can you help us out?


  32. Hulya says:

    Hi, I am livin in London and married who is Italian. I applied my Italian citizenship back in 1.04.2017. I have got an email from London Italy Consulate refused my application. The reason was I am Turkish got my criminal records document from Turkey also translated and they said these documents are not appostil/legalized. I did all my documents correctly and uploaded on the website with everything. I dont know how they decide it? In the mean time my husband said when he was uploading all documents there was error on the website. What should I do now? How will i have to deal it? I got everything but after 2 years disappointed with refusal an email.
    Thanks for your help

  33. Samar Montaser says:

    عشت في ايطاليا مع ابني لمده 6 سنوات وحدنا وكان معانا الاقامه لان ابني كان بيدرس في ايطاليا وبعد ذلك حدثت بعض الأمور الصعبه مما ادي الي رجعونا لمصر ومش عارفه اقدر ارجع تاني اذاي

  34. Edward says:

    Hello, my mum(Ghanaian) has been living in Germany of my Dad who is an Italian for the past 12 years but has not been working. They recently got divorced right when she was to apply for he passport. Can she proceed without him. If not, what can she do?

  35. CJ says:

    Hello, if an American who was working in Italy but has gone past their legal stay period because a contract was extended and forgot to renew their work visa. How are does it work for them to be able to leave the country to get back home?

  36. Haitham says:

    Hello, I would like to contact with a lawyer to ask him about immigration and residence in in Italy

  37. Heyhat says:

    Hello sir
    I’m Heyhat Asyle from italy Im with my parents we are 6 person
    3 Sister and i” we are 10 month in italy and we take a #PermessoDiSoggiorno 5 year with passport/ my questions is:-
    We wanna going to #UK (England)for work! For this “How we can going there and. You thing we will need a visa or not because the lawyer said You didn’t need visa 5 P years .. I just wanna know please help us.,,,?!

  38. Maira Alejandra says:

    Prima di tutto, un caro saluto.
    Sono Maira Alejandra Pacheco , una donna venezuelana, fidanzata da tre anni con un cittadino italiano; siamo attualmente in Peru, ma noi viaggiamo per l’Italia a luglio do quest’anno e ci sposeremo in italia e staremo definitivi in quel paese.
    Devo sapere se posso fare un documento che mi permetta di entrare nel paese con un biglietto aereo di sola andata. Grazie.

  39. Mr.Zoraiz says:

    Hello Sir Its Zoraiz here from Pakistan . I need to ask some questions regarding Italy immigration . I need to ask that if I hold a Italy work permit or Eu blue card of Italy how much time it would required for me and my family to get citizenship of Italy or Italian passport . I further want to ask is they’re any other way through investment or any other legal ways despite of Parents form Italy or stuff like this . I hope that I am able to clear out my self to you . Sir I am waiting for you answer as I found that you are capable of answering my question because I am interesting in getting Italian passport

    Thank you

  40. Duane says:

    Hello my name is Duane I am a US citizen .My wife has the privilege to teach at New York university next school year. So she has a work visa for two years. My question is since we are married is there a way for me to get a visa Also? What I have been seeing is three months at a time.

  41. Alicia says:

    Hello, I am self supporting freelancer USA , who would like to stay a year in Italy( Rome ) .
    I have accommodations secured and can support myself since I am a remote contractor- I don’t need an office just my pc and internet.
    What type of visa can I apply for. Who should I call/email?

  42. Saeid Setayesh says:

    Dear Sir,
    I am Saeid Setayesh From Tehran, Iran.
    I wanted to ask about how to appeal against an unfair visa denial
    Can you help me for that?

    Saeid Setayesh

  43. dora says:

    HI, I will appreciate your help. My passport was stolen, now I have a extraordinary passport for 6 months. I have entered to Italy on August 8th, 2018, but my return flight is on november 18th. 12 days after the 90days visa or schengen countries expiers. I do not want to to broke the law and have problems, but the flight ticket cannot be changed or modify. I would loose it and would have to buy another one. Is it possible to pay for a 15 days visa or a penalty to stay in Italy 12 more days.
    Besides i want to return and try to stablish here in Italy, I think I could apply for Elective REscidence since I have some investements in Mexico. Could you please help me?

    great tahnks

  44. Faseeh says:

    I have been living in Italy for about 16 years and me and my family have Carta di Soggiorno which is permanent. But now the old A4 paper Carta di soggiorno is replaced by a computerized card. So what’s the procedure to replace my old carta di soggiorno with the new one ?

    What documents I need for this and where do I have to go ?

    Please help me in this case.


  45. Tomi says:


    I am non-EU citizen working in Germany for 2 years and holding Blue Card for 2 years as well.

    Because of personal reasons, my current company allows me to relocate and work remotely from Italy.

    Which visa option is appropriate for my situation?

    Thank you in advance.
    Best regards,

  46. Ted C says:

    I’m an independent journalist, self-supporting (U.S. sources), and I want to spend one year (at least) in Palermo, Sicily to do research for a book. None of the long-stay visa types seem to clearly apply. A phone consultation might resolve my questions.

    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Ciao Ted
      please write Laura (l.innocenti@italylawfirms.com) our VISA specialist.

  47. Sadaf says:

    Im 18 years old and im single
    I want to study medical in italy
    I want to go there with my mother
    What should i do ?

  48. Laura Francioni says:

    Hola, queria saber si los ciudadanos de San Marino pueden trabajar libremente en Italia o igualmente necesitan visa de trabajo.

  49. Venus says:

    Hola, buen día. Quería preguntarles algo: Soy Gay y tengo doble nacionalidad.La primera de Ecuador y la segunda de italia obviamente. Y me quisiera casar con mi pareja. Ella es de colombia. Ella podría obtener un permiso de residencia por casarse conmigo? Es decir podria traerla para que viva conmigo? Donde tendríamos que casarnos, en su pais (Colombia) o en Ecuador donde nací? O donde estoy viviendo actualment que es en Escocia, recién llevo dos meses aqui. Asi que no se si para casarse aqui tendría que sacar el permiso temporal o permanente de residencia. En fin en donde sería mas practico casarme para que ella pueda estar conmigo?

  50. Dear Sir, thank you for the phone call today , i am Dr askary from Egypt , we are a family of five ( three young kids) we are interested to have a permanent residence in Europe in the European union probable based in Italy , we are not interested to stay in Italy but to have the residency for travel purposes and ability to move without a visa

  51. mehdi soleymani says:

    Hi. I’m
    1) 36 years old. 2) married 3) industrial management (master) 4) 8 years experience in commercial department 5) 4 years manager job .
    I want to formation a company, start business, get residence permit. Please give me some information about procedure, duration, full fees, terms of payment. ,

  52. Jahanara Faheem says:

    Hi, i would like to discuss my student visa. How could i book an appotment?

  53. AFTAB AHMAD says:

    Hello I’m Aftab and I’m a Pakistani National from Italy, I have political Asylum (Asilo Politico) in italy with 5 years of Resident Permit. I’m planing to travel Malaysia, Thailand etc. Can i use my pakistani passport for travling?.. i don’t wana take Refugee Documents.

  54. Estimados, me encuentro en Italia por estudios, tengo visa por 6 meses y me acompaña mi esposa e hijo de 5 años, quienes entraron sin visa. Hay alguna forma de que ellos se queden por los 6 meses en Italia. Se puede pedir algo similar a una reunificacion familiar en estos casos?

  55. Mahia says:

    Vivo en Estados Unidos estoy en proceso de obtener mi residencia me pueden dar una visa para ir a Italia.

  56. Jugraj singh says:

    . I am jugraj singh from India and I have refusal stamp of student visa of latvia on my passport. Now i want to apply for work visa in italy.
    Can i apply the work visa of italy on same passport?? Because latvia and Italy are both schengen countries
    Is Italian embassy have any objection to give me work visa regarding my refusal stamp on passport..?? Or there is no role of refusal stamp for Italian embassy??
    Should i change copy of passport or apply on same..??
    Kindly reply me as soon as possible. Thanks a lot

    1. nancy says:

      Hey, You can apply, Italy dnt have any problem with refusal

    2. rohidh says:

      i am Rohidh from India i wish to take work permit in Italy and wish to work in Italy. How can i apply for the work permit visa.
      Kindly reply me as soon as possible .Thanks a lot

  57. mk says:

    انا موجود الان بفيزا سياحه واريد ايجاد عقد عمل لعمل اقامة باسرع وقت او اى طريقة اخرى المهم هو الحصول على اقامه والبقاء هنا
    I am currently in with a tourist visa and want to find a work contract for the establishment work as soon as possible or any other important way is to get it and stay here

  58. Wing Lee says:

    Dear Sir

    I am holding a British passport and will travel to Italy 2 weeks later, do i need a blank page at passport to entering Italy ?

    Best Regards

  59. Kholoud Elderwy says:


    I have a couple of immigration questions that would appreciate your knowledge on.

    A sixteen year old Egyptian girl is looking to move to Italy for high-school education. When can she apply for residency and on average, how long would the process take?

    Would the process be faster or slower if the parents were to move with her?


  60. Jenny says:


    I am Filipina. I am currently in Italy holding a tourist visa for 90 days. I would like to please extend my visa if is feasible.
    What shall we do?
    What type of visa or what we can do for me to stay here more?
    My fiancee is Italian citizen and we’re living together.

    Thank you so much in advance and I hope you can help me.

    Best regards,

    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Ciao Jenny,
      we would need more details, please write us to info@italylawfirms.com

  61. Sandra nsiah says:

    please how long does it take questura to issue 5years carta di soggiorno familiare ue after applying? Thanks.

    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Ciao Sandra,
      it depends from many factors.
      please send us an email with more details and we will be able to give you a more accurate response.

  62. Esse says:

    Hi, I would like the email address of someone I can talk to, please I have a few questions about this, so if you can help I will be grateful.

    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Ciao please write us at info@italylawfirms.com

  63. Nasir Ahmed shah says:

    Good Evening Respected sir I hope you will be fine sir I need some information Regarding work visa for Italy How I Apply visa I am Pakistani National but Working in UAE Abu Dhabi long time please Explain me that if Possible

    Nasir shah
    TRS Senior Technician
    Plot No 17 Sector M 21 in Mussafah 1
    PO Box 42150
    United Arab Emirates
    Direct Dial: +971 (0) 2 5511141
    Mobile: +971503521973 (UAE)

    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Dear Nasir,

      many thanks for your request.

      There are a lot of VISA permits (self-employment, family reunification, elective residency, etc.); in order to find the solution that suits you better you should please send an email to info@italylawfirms.com providing us with more details about your situation.


  64. Roberto Canto says:

    Yes i would like to move to italy to study medicine. I am an american and not rich enough to afford million dollar american college. Will italy be ok with this? I like juventus can speak italian and am well behaved.

    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Dear Roberto, you would be absolutely able to attend Italian University (which is not as expensive as the American ones.. the problem is what kind of VISA you could obtain.
      Please write us to give us more details.

  65. Sanjay Jain says:

    Dear Sir/ Madam,

    We M/s Saleena International Working as tour operator Based in India

    we need your help for our clients who wants to visit Germany,

    please send us the detail information along with your fee charges

    Looking forward to here from you soon.

    with kind regards


    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Dear Sanjay,
      To be able to give you a quotation you should plase send us an email to info@italylawfirms.com to provide you with more details.

  66. Inderjit singh says:

    my wife have a unlimited sugorno. we married in 2014. i just want to know that what kind of documents my wife supposed to have to get me family reunion visa.
    Inderjit Singh.

    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Dear Inderjit,
      you can apply for Family Reunification VISA. To have the list of the necessary documents you should please write us in private at info@italylawfirms.com

  67. Buick tavakoli rad says:

    kind att,
    I am planning to Register srl company in Italy and work as a selfemployed in the field of pet and agricultural items to export from Italy,I will highly appreciate to find out what kind of assistance you may give and from where should I start?meanwhile, I was born in 1950 and very professional in export sectors,
    warm regards

    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Dear Buick,
      we can assist you both in establishing the SRL and in bookkeeping
      Please write us in private

  68. Bi says:


    I am a Lebanese citizen holder of an international business degree. I know i need €350,000 to buy a house and get a residence permit and €500,000 to get a start up employment visa. If I have a tourist visa and wants to open a small restaurant in Rome for €15,000, is it possible to legalise my situation and work in Italy me and my wife with the help of a lwayer? If, yes what is the cost and how much time does it need to get it?


    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Dear Bi,
      yes you can legalize your position but you would need anyway to back to your country of residency to apply for a self employment permit at the competent Consulate.
      Please write us at info@italylawfirms for more details.

  69. myeek says:

    if i am already in italy ….is it possible to get a religious visa ..in order to remain here

  70. Hossein Teimoory says:

    My family(wife and a kid) and I are from Iran. I’m an Erasmus Mundus Master student in Tropical Biodiversity and Ecosystems,TROPIMUNDO, at UNIFI (2018-2019).I will arrive in Florence in September 2018.How can my family get visa ,up to 90 days or more than 90 days, and live with me in Florence?

  71. Salman says:

    Good afternoon

    I applied student visa for master programme in Italy but i have been refused and reason is ” you did not prove to process the financial means as of under interior ministry directive 2000″.
    I think it’s unfair because I have provided sufficient proofs of funds. I would like to go for appeal through your law firm. I am sending refusal letter as an attachment. Please let me know the process and your fee.my other class fellow got refusal with same reason . They also need your services.

    Kinda regards


    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Dear Salman
      in order to be able to provide you an estimate of our fees you should please send us an email to info@italylawfirms.com.

  72. carol says:

    hola soy de peru y quisiera ir a vivir a italia con mi hijo de 3 años y mi esposo estando alla que papeles tengo que hacer para estar legal y si mi hijo puede ir sin ningun problema a la escuela

  73. Matthew Staley says:

    I am a non-EU citizen (American), moving with my British wife and baby, from the United Kingdom to Rome Italy. I have lived in the UK for the past 4 and a half years, and my wife and I have been married for almost 4 years. We moved 3 weeks ago to Rome and have registered our presence at the Questura, have obtained 3 codice fiscale codes, and my wife and baby just got reciept of application for residence certificate at the local Anagrafe. I need to apply for Carta di Soggiorno as a non-EU spouse of EU national, as having just moved from another EU country, UK. I want to ensure that I properly apply for the Carta di Soggiorno to be issued to me for 5 years residence as the spouse of EU national resident. I want assistance to make sure I fill in the Carta di Soggiorno properly as spouse of EU National. My wife and baby have registered change of residence at the Anagrafe based on being self-sufficient with Comprehensive health insurance cover. The europa.eu website and the poliziadiitalia website both indicate that to apply for EC Long-Term Residence Permit (carta di soggiorno) for foreign family members of EU citizens, I should only be required to present my passport, marriage certificate(which is US-marriage certificate), 4 passport-sized photos, and the EU citizen’s receipt of application for registration with the Anagrafe. Do you have the knowledge and experience to help me ensure I receive 5 year Carti di soggiorno for accompanying my EU-national spouse and baby, moving from another EU country? Also if you could give me an idea of how much the cost would be.
    Thank you,

  74. HAKIM says:

    Hi my name Hakim. Leaving in uk and having f amilly member visa 5 years will be expired in 2021 but i divorce my parter and I have another girl friend and I’m waiting baby from her . I have Shengan visa for 90 days still available and I wanted to stay in Italy with my future wife and our baby what I have to do .thanks

  75. Dear Sir/Madam
    First I would like to thank you for the general explanation for the visas subject
    Am from Libya and living in malta as resident and I have my own company which the company of malta owns Two European brands called Sorriso for foods stuff and Dazzle for detergents and also am resident in Dubai ( Emairets ) as investor at the moment am thinking to move to italy but I did not know from where I can start
    If it possible kindly contact me but sending email to me or by whatsapp on my number 0035699113611
    Just to know am l would like to start some business in italy especially in the property development

    awaiting your reply at your earliest convenience.
    Thanking you agin for your kind attention
    Kind regards

    Munir Elfeghi
    Email : Pactol_ltd@hotmail.com.
    Mobile : +35699113611

  76. rob worrell says:

    My son is planning on ski racing, ski race training in northern italy this winter, December 1-April 15th. I would accompany him as his trainer. What visa would we be eligible for?
    Thanks Rob

  77. Cecile Dumdum says:

    I am flying to Italy on June 18. However, upon checking on my visa, the date is June 19-28, 2017. Since I will be arriving at 7:00 p.m., would I be allowed entry or just stay at the airport for a few hours since it is already close to the 19th? I will be in Italy only for a week to do a pope pilgrimage for my 60th birthday. I would appreciate your advise on this.

    Many thanks.

    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      Dear Cecile,
      yes you can land to Italy without problems.

  78. Darcy Lewis says:

    I am an American that has over stayed my 90 day visa by 10 days. I wish to stay in italy for 90 more days. What can I do so that I am allowed to stay without penalty. Thank you

  79. Muhammad Ejaz says:

    Hello sir / madam I’m living in Germany my asylum is been refused and I’m waiting my court hearing but it can take so long I’m here since Jan 2017 but still struggling for status, I’m not allowed to work even, one of my friend is in Italy he told me that it’s easy to get status in Italy, I shall be very thankful to you please if you guide me what to do. Thanks in advance.

    Thanks & Regards

  80. Richie says:

    Dear Sir,

    I am the biological father of a 10 year old minor who who a permanent residence status in italy through my late mum whom my daughter was under her tutelage. I came to burry my mum with a visitors visa. Do I qualify to obtain a residence permit, if yes please advise.

    1. Michele Ambrogio says:

      On the basis of your information we think you are not entitled to obtain a permanent VISA. However, please write us an email to info@italylawfirms.com for more details.

  81. mahdi nasiri says:

    Dear Sir/Madam,
    I am Mahdi Nasiri from Iran. I found you via internet and would like to register a company in Italy. Also my wife and I would like to migrate and get the residence of Italy hereby. Could you please inform me about this Matter? How can I register company and could you do this? Which kind of documents should I bring there? Can I get the residence of Italy by this way? How long does it take that a company is registered? After how many years we can get the residence of Italy?
    It will be noted that, my wife and I now are at Italy. can I see you at your office?
    Many thanks in advance for your kind information and I would be so pleasure to hear you a.s.a.p.
    Best Regards,
    Mahdi Nasiri

  82. ScottCix says:

    Ежегодная программа Иммиграционная Виза США (DV Лотерея), также известная как Грин Карта США выдаёт иммиграционные визы США лицам соответствующим простым, но строгим критериям отбора, путём Компьютерного розыгрыша и Случайного выбора победителей Иммиграционной Визы США.
    Настоящую Гринкарту США позволительно получить токмо на сайте http://www.usa-immigration-service.at
    Там же вы можете оформить официальное американское гражданство.

  83. Hussam says:

    Hello I’m holding syrian nationality but living in china and I have few questions to discuss with you. First at all I’m right now in Rome for travel and my visa will expired on February 22 can you help me to renew it. Second I would like to hear your suggestion about the best way to get 1 years visa or Permanent residence by opening small amount company or apply for asylum or study in Italy

  84. Moses says:

    Iam living in italy but i have stay 1 years and 1 month but nothing like commision so can someone tell me what to do or do i take the case to police atatiob

  85. Syed Tahir Hussain Sheerazi says:

    Hello Sir,God bless on you.I am a Pakistani.I am Married. Iam a Govt. employ in Education Department working as a teacher since 19993 to uptill now .Mynqualification is M.A M.Ed .i want to get immigration for Italy.What do i need do.

  86. Ben says:

    I’m non eu citizen, I have the Italian visa since 4 years , I’m married to a German woman in Denmark can I get my Italian citizenship? Or what do I need to do?

  87. Prakash says:

    Iam a Indian
    I will come to Italy next month in visit viza
    After coming to Italy is it possible for me to have work permit’or residence viza? What is the documents I need to have?

  88. Brandon Silberfarb says:

    I am a student at the University of Maryland and I am scheduled to travel to Florence Italy to live and study for the semester.. I am scheduled to travel to Italy on January 3, 2017 and return to the USA on April 9, 2017. I have tried to make an appointment at the Italian Consulate in order to apply for a visa yet there are no appointments available. Are you able to help me obtain a student visa?

  89. Joshua says:

    Dear Sir,
    I will like to know your relevant immigration laws that allows a refused application for an appeal, necessary laws and quotations to address an appeal letter to Italian embassy.

  90. Abbas Eslami says:

    Dear Sir,
    I am Abbas Eslami From Tehran, Iran.
    I wanted to ask about Italian Elective Residence Visa for persons with high self-sustaining incomes and financial assets; the resident without permit of work.
    Can you help me for that?

    Abbas Eslami

  91. Kristin Vinciguerra says:

    I have been in contact with the Italian consulate in Philadelphia and they are giving me a hard time. My family and I would like to stay in Italy for more than 90 days. We will be at my mother’s home and will have steady income so we will NOT need to work in Italy. They tell me that I don;t qualify for elective residence, but I don’t understand why. Can you help? Thank you, Kristin

    1. michele-admin says:

      Dear Kristin,
      we would need to know on what grounds they refused your application.
      We would be happy to give you our preliminary opinion about your case if you please to provide us with more details via email.


    Dear Sirs,
    My partner and I are Australian citizens working on a UK flagged Yacht that will be based in Italy for the next 18 months. We live full time on the yacht. We have been advised that we need to apply for a long stay National Visa. Is this correct and if so are you able to help us to obtain this visa?
    Thank you in advance.

  93. omar says:

    hi dear I am from kurdistan iraq I want visit to italy for vacation how I can get visa
    thanks for answer my question

    1. kazim says:

      Dear.sir.I’m a UK citizen I will come to Italy net week I already found a job over there .I will ask can my wife join me to live to gether in Italy. and when and can I start this proces? it will be great if you give me more details about this with my regard to all

  94. waseem says:

    Dear Sir
    I would like to ask that I have subsidiary protection residence permit in Italy. I got this permit in appeal. I claimed my asylum on 20th January 2012. The question is when is time started for my carta di soggiorno?

  95. Saad Moahmed Alhassan says:

    my tourist visa got refused by The italain consul in Jeddah , can you help on making appeal for TAR or contacting embassy on my behalf .

    1. olu says:

      my tourist visa got refused by The italain consul in nigeria ,i actually want to visit rome. can you please help on making appeal for TAR

  96. Alida Bowden says:

    I’m a 66 years of age divorced American lady. I’m retired and would like to relocate to Italy. I have a friend in Milan who is a few years older than me, and he has kindly offered to let me live in one of his condo apartments free of charge. I receive a rather modest fixed amount of money from my Social Security Retirement Benefits every month. I live on a tight budget, but I am able to manage. I took a trip to Italy in 2011 and I loved it there and didn’t want to leave, but unfortunately I had to return to the USA much to my dismay. While I was in Italy I stayed with friends. In the past I have taken a few elementary and lower intermediate level courses in Italian on the Internet and at local community colleges. My reading and oral comprehension of Italian is not bad, but I still have a difficult time with conversational Italian. Anyway, I have been dreaming of living in Italy for the past many years, and I think I would like to make Italy my home for the remainder of my life. What are the necessary steps that I must take in order to make this dream a reality? Do I need a sponsor? I would appreciate any advice you could give me. La ringrazio anticipatamente.

  97. Christine says:

    I have been living in Italy since 2012 with a ‘carte d’identità’ since April 2013
    I have a British Passport and my question is, where do I stand now with Britain voting to exit the EU and my ability to continue residing in Italy ?
    Thank You

    1. michele-admin says:

      Ciao Christine,
      At the moment no one knows what kind of Agreements/Treaties will be closed between England and EU; in any case nothing is going to change in the coming two years.

  98. Shakeel says:

    Hello sir / madam I’m living in ireland my asylum is been refused and I’m waiting my court hearing but it is taking so long I’m here since 2014 but still struggling for status, I’m not allowed to work even, one of my friend is in Italy he told me that it’s easy to get status in Italy, I shall be very thankful to you please if you guide me what to do. Thanks in advance.

  99. OTHMAN MAHMOOD says:

    Dear Sirs/Madams:
    I would like to inform you that I am one of the your candidate of Italian scholarship at University of Calabria . I am from Iraqi kudistan I want to ask you a question about getting visa I am married and I have a child , can I apply to get visa for them . if ,so
    How can I apply ?
    I need information .
    Best wishes ,
    Othman H.Mahmood
    Demousterator at college of education
    Physics Department

  100. ebrima wally says:

    hello i am very intresting in d italyian visa please i need a help or how am going get d visa

  101. Mohammed Al-Obaidi says:

    Dear Sir

    1- My name is Mohammed Al-obaidi , an Iraqi nationality born 17\5\1963 I hold Iraqi passport No:A10640378 . I work in the general trading and constructions
    I have a residence in tow countries (Jordan and Morocco )
    A member in the Federation of Arab businessmen based in Amman – Jordan
    A member in the Iraqi businessmen Association based in Amman – Jordan
    2- I applied with my wife Mrs. Sahar Al-mahdawi to the Italian embassy in Amman for a tourist schengen visa , and I received ten days later that my wife application was accepted but mine was refused and the reason gave my was that a schengen members state considered me a (threat to public safety ) and I was informed that I can appeal the decision through an Italian lawyer within 60 days .
    I wish to make the following comments:
    1- I traveled to Europe \ UK and Canada many times before and I never faced a similar situation .
    2- On 13th October 2015 while entering Germany \ Frankfurt and following a request by the immigration officer for approve of my documents travel , he stamped my passport to enter to Frankfurt but he then made a racist comment which lead to an exchange between me and him . then he asked me to go to the immigration office and hold my passport and all the documents , and he told me laterally ( I accuse you of getting the visa unlawfully through the French embassy )
    He said that I had to choose between:
    a- refuse starting criminal investigation and deporting me back to Amman and put me in the black list
    b- accept his accusation and go through a minor investigation, and allowed to back to Amman and apply again for a visa , I accept this choice and I explain in my statement everything but he still insisted I most travel to France not to Germany and then he deport me to Amman not to Marrakech which was my initial point of traveling.
    After arriving in Amman I discovered he had stamped my visa as ( Annulliert ) realized that the officer was adamant to hurt me and cause a big problem during any future shcengen visa application .
    Dear Sir
    I hope you can assist me with my appeal of the unfair decision.
    Kindly advise me with if you were welling to represent me and advise me the cost.
    I will send you all the documents in case I got your e-mail.

    Best Regards

    Mohammed Al-Obaidi

Leave a Reply to Alicia Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can change this and find out more by following this link

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.